The subject leader for Science is Miss Azhar
What is the purpose of science?
A high-quality science education provides the foundations for understanding the world through the scientific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics. It is vital that all children learn and enjoy science in order to understand the world around them.
Science at Irk Valley Community School
Science is all around us! At Irk Valley, we believe working scientifically in all science lessons is one of the most powerful ways a child can develop curiosity of the world in which they live. Through our science lessons, we aim to provide children with the knowledge and understanding that they need in order to develop and challenge their own minds. Here at Irk Valley, we aim to make science as practical as possible, linking it to real life contexts so that it gives children a purpose and meaning to their learning.
Our Science lessons are open ended and practical in nature, allowing children to use a wide range of resources to lead the learning and make their own discoveries. Through science lessons, children develop the key skills of investigation, problem solving and team work and this empowers children to question the world around them and become scientific thinkers.
A great science lesson at Irk Valley:
- Encourages pupils to recognise the power of rational explanation.
- Inspires pupils to develop a sense of excitement and curiosity about natural phenomena.
- Supports pupils in understanding how science can be used to explain what is occurring in the scientific world, predict how things will behave, and analyse causes.
- Builds on their own knowledge and experiences when experimenting to find things out for themselves.
Key Subject Skills
Key skills in Science are:
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
- Develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
- Equip pupils with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.