The subject leader for Physical Education is Mr Thomas
PE at Irk Valley
At Irk Valley, we aim to provide a PE curriculum that pupils from Reception to Year 6 not only enjoy but also allows them to experience a range of activities that help them to develop their health, fitness and wellbeing. We intend to offer a high-quality physical education curriculum that inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. It provides opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
The national curriculum for PE aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives
PE Kit and Expectations
The following are our expectations in all PE lessons to ensure pupils participate in fun, engaging and safe activities:
Suitable school PE kit should be worn for each lesson. If school kit is not provided, children will still participate in the lesson unless school uniform is not appropriate for the activity - children will then undertake coaching or officiating roles.
Head scarves should be tightly secured or removed for PE. A specialist, tight-fitting head scarf can be a suitable alternative.
All children taking part in indoor PE should be barefoot unless the activity requires the wearing of pumps / trainers (basketball, athletics, indoor hockey, indoor football etc)
All children with verrucas should wear pumps.
It is important that children have suitable footwear (appropriate to the activity) to minimise the chances of injury.
Every child must have a school PE kit. They should arrive at school wearing their correct PE kit for their lesson that day.
Please remember, plain black trainers can be worn each day as children will once more, be running their Daily Mile
School PE Kit
- plain white t-shirt
- plain black shorts or plain black joggers
- change of socks - preferably long black games socks
- sturdy trainers or astro-turf boots (gym pumps offer little protection in games sessions)
- plain black sweater or school sweater maybe worn in colder winter months at the discretion of the teacher
- woolly hats and gloves may also be worn in colder months
- hooded tops or coats shouldn't be worn as they pose a risk in games
All of the above items can be affordably purchased at Sports Direct, Primark, Tescos or online at such outlets as MM Direct.