Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Education
At Irk Valley, SMSC underpins much of what we do. We recognise that the personal development of children – spiritually, morally, socially and culturally – plays a significant role in their ability to learn, and to grow into well rounded members of society. We aim to provide an education that provides children with opportunities to explore and develop:
- Their own values and beliefs and that of others
- Spiritual awareness of themselves and others
- High standards of personal behaviour
- A positive and caring attitude towards other people
- An understanding and respect for their and others social and cultural traditions
- An appreciation of the diversity and richness of cultures and the world around them.
SMSC is a dimension of the whole school experience which makes the curriculum relevant, stimulating, creative and fun. It enriches each subject and the vision and values of Irk Valley and is an essential ingredient of school success.
At Irk Valley, we uphold and teach pupils about British Values. According to Ofsted, these comprise of:
- The Rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect for and tolerance of those with faiths and beliefs and for those without faith
How we adress these values