To help your children even more please refer to the information below and practice at home. We can not state how important it is for you to sign your child's red reading record each night once you have read/ questioned them to evidence that they are practicing these techniques.
Reading Towards the Expected Standard children should:
- Be reading Stage 4 book band (blue)
- Use phonics to decode words
- Begin to read some Year 1 Common Exception Words.
- Read 1 syllable words Eg. cat
- Re-read books to build up fluency
- Begin to answer literal questions with support
Reading at the Expected Standard children should:
- Be secure on Stage 5 book band (green)
- Use phonics to decode words.
- Read Year 1 Common Exception Words.
- Read words with more than 1 syllable Eg. hotel
- Re-read books to build up fluency and expression.
- Answer literal questions without support.
- Where mistakes are made, children should self-correct their reading.
Reading Above the Expected Standard children should be confident in all the above ‘working at the Expected Standard’ objectives above plus:
- Be secure on Stage 6 book band (Orange)
- Be able to read words with contractions. Eg. I’m = I am, Can’t = Can not
- Answer inference questions without support.
- Make a sensible prediction about what a text will be about or what will happen next.