Welcome to our Irk Valley Parent Forum.
At Irk Valley, we are proud to have a Parent Forum. The Parent Forum has been set up to enhance communication between parents/carers and the school. It is a valuable way to share ideas, views and make suggestions for ways we can work together to further improve our school.
Who can be part of the Forum?
Current and future parents and carers of children attending Irk Valley Community School are welcome to be part of the Forum. There is no ongoing commitment required, just come along to be part of the forum.
Why should parents & carers take part?
As a parent or carer, being part of the Forum can help you in a number of ways:
- Good links between you and the school can improve your child's/childrens' enjoyment and chances of doing well.
- It gives you an opportunity to get together on a regular basis with other parents to have your say on what the school is doing well, and ideas of how you feel things could be improved.
- It can help you get the advice and support to help and encourage your children with their learning
- It can break down barriers between the school and parents and improve working relationships.
Why is it important?
In the early years, parental involvement has a significant impact on children’s cognitive development and literacy and number skills. Parental involvement in a child’s schooling for a child between the ages of 7 and 16 is a more powerful force than family background, size of family and level of parental education. Parental involvement has a significant effect on pupil achievement throughout the years of schooling. Educational failure is increased by lack of parental interest in schooling. In particular, a father’s interest in a child’s schooling is strongly linked to educational outcomes for the child.
There is much research on this topic. Please download the DFE (Department For Education) research into parental engagement:
Parent Forum - Communication
Thank you to those who helped in December – our children really enjoyed Santa visiting and leaving some well wrapped gifts for them all.
Our next meeting will focus on communication and we welcome your views on what we are doing to improve further.
This meeting will take place on Tuesday the 2nd April 2:00pm – 3:00pm and we welcome all interested parents and carers to attend. If you have little ones, please bring them along too. Refreshments will be provided.
An agenda is provided below and we hope that as many of you as possible are able to attend as it is very important for us to be able to hear the views of everyone involved with the school.
This meeting is expected to last approximately an hour and the proposed agenda is:
1. Welcome and introductions
2. LPPA (Leading Parent Partnership Award) update
3. Home school communication
2.1 Lines of communication
2.2 Policy communication
2.3 Curriculum communication
4. Any other business
We look forward to seeing you there.