Homework, Reading & Phonics
Homework sheets are given out every Friday and should be completed by the following Wednesday.
We encourage the children to complete their homework as independently as possible as work set consolidate their learning activities during the week however, discussions with an adult may necessary.
Any written tasks or handwriting can be completed inside the red homework book, please take a photograph and attach to the children's individual portfolios once complete.
Please ensure that your child reads for at least 10 minutes a day, and where possible, is listened to by an adult.
We 'strive for 5' signatures in your child's Reading Record each week to show that your child has read their book and can talk about it. If there are not enough signatures then your child will be asked to keep their book to read and understand it better.
What do parents need to know about home reading?
- Reading books should be brought in every day.
- Children are listened to read by Teacher or Teaching assistant during the week. In Year 1, your child will have a one-to-one reading session every week.
- Comments in the reading diary will focus on phonics and fluency.
- Bookmarks give ideas for comprehension questions related to books to share at home.
- To promote reading and positive attitudes school will hand out certificates, stamps, stickers and prizes.
Don't forget to share different types of books too - fairytales, comics, books in your home language or fact books too. It all counts!
Supersonic Phonic Friends Parent Newsletter:
Once the children have completed a 'group' of sounds within their daily Phonics lessons they will be sent home with a Parent Newsletter to share with their families and to practise at home.
The sheets contain all the sounds they have been taught and a selection of words with contain the focus sounds, please encourage the children to segment and blend these words, then 'read with speed' which will help improve their reading fluency over time.