Homework sheets are given out every Friday and should be completed by the following Wednesday.
We have sent each of the children home with a red homework book which they can use to complete any written tasks or handwriting inside, please take a photograph and attach to your Dojo portfolio.
We encourage the children to complete their homework as independently as possible as work set consolidate their learning activities during the week however, discussions with an adult may necessary.
Additional activities to complete each week:
- Supersonics Phonic Friends sheet - please practise both saying the sounds and writing the sounds/letters. Our children really need to practise this as they find it really hard to write sentences independently - a skill which in year 1 we need to do daily.
- Join in with Dough Disco on the link below. Dough Disco is very important in Year 1 and we do it every day to help with our fine motor skills. It would be great to see any photos/videos of you and your families at the Dough Disco.
What do parents need to know about home reading?
- Reading books should be brought in every day.
- Children are listened to read by Teacher or Teaching assistant during the week. In Year 1, your child will have a one-to-one reading session every week.
- Comments in the reading diary will focus on phonics and fluency.
- Bookmarks give ideas for comprehension questions related to books to share at home.
- To promote reading and positive attitudes school will hand out certificates, stamps, stickers and prizes.
We 'strive for 5' signatures in your child's Reading Record each week to show that your child has read their book and can talk about it. If there are not enough signatures then your child will be asked to keep their book to read and understand it better.
Please make sure you read with your child every day and don't forget to share different types of books too - fairytales, comics, books in your home language or fact books too. It all counts!